Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wishing this was a joke...

...but it's actually an advertorial (a paid advertisement that is presented to look like an editorial article). The text instructs women to ask for a raise by following simple steps, starting with step No. 1: "showering with Summer's Eve Femine Wash or throwing a packet of Summer's Eve Feminine Cleansing Cloths into your bag for a quick freshness pick-me-up during the day."

(Because who doesn't associate feminine hygeine with getting that much-deserved raise or promotion? Surely your boss does?)

While I don't know who created this placement (or who reviewed and approved it), fingers on Facebook are being pointed at men. It doesn't really matter which gender is actually to blame. Someone simply missed the mark. Which begs the question of the day: is it really that hard to hit?


Is this offensive to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O-M-G you have got to be kidding me?

Auntie Jen

Linda said...

Offended as a woman? Not really, I've been around long enough to have seen so much tone-deaf marketing, I shrug most of it off (while making a note to avoid the products thusly promoted).

But I *am* offended by stupidity on the part of people who should know better, and this is stupid in the extreme. And if said people still have jobs in marketing, I am REALLY offended by that.