Monday, June 30, 2008

Entering the Potty Zone

Recently in the middle of a typical Monday afternoon and a barrage of emails about data sets, client reviews and extranets, I received a wonderful little ray of light in the form of an email from Mimi, while she was watching the boys:

“When Graham got up from his nap his pants were dry so I asked him if he wanted to go to the potty. He did. And he peed!”

Take that, world! My baby is growing up! Today it’s peeing in the potty…tomorrow, maybe Congress! MY BABY PEED IN THE POTTY!

I imagined the look of pride that must have graced his face when he realized what he was doing. I wanted to give him a hug and tell him what a big boy he is.

I thought about a sign that hung in my old hairdresser’s salon in my small home town:

“Doing a good job around here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but nobody really notices.”

Now this is a big moment for a toddler that barely goes unnoticed. I’m sure we’ll now go get that potty trainer and maybe some Pull-Ups and perhaps we’ll stock up on some key potty training tips at our favorite parenting sites. But for me, this little guy’s mother, well heck, you might say I’m “peeing” right along with him…right into my dark suit.

No comments: