Friday, February 27, 2009

Three Years Ago Today

Three years ago today, my contractions were starting. I was trying to get work done between them. And I managed to, thank you very much. I was preparing for the best day of my life. I wanted all the extraneous details and loose ends tied so that I could do nothing but gaze at my son, trace the wrinkles in his baby skin and ponder my new role of mother.

Here I am today, three years later, preparing for a rockin' three-year-old birthday. I have more loose ends to tie than I can count. I need to re-cover my dining room chairs, I need to make 35 cupcakes, I need to burn 10 kids' CDs and print covers. I have a grad school project due. The boys' dirty clothes basket is overflowing. I need to get 'real' work - the paying work - done between all these things. I am so tired, it feels as though there are little elves behind my eyeballs leaning up against them trying to pop them out.
And I really need to paint my front door because it is driving me nutty, but I have to let go of that one. I know - there are limits.

Oh, have I embraced that role of mother.

I took my birthday boy to the doctor today for a check up. I listened to new moms in the waiting room - strangers to each other - sharing their brand tips. 'Do you have a Bumbo?' 'Yes, those things are amazing!' I laughed to myself, both as a researcher of mom consumer behaviors and as someone who was not long ago in that same situation. Oh but now I am a sage, of course. [She says facetiously.]

I reminded my big boy that tomorrow is his big day. I asked if he was ready to be three. 'Not YET!' he replied. Duh, mom. He'll be ready tomorrow; not today. Everything has its time. It's rhythm. He obviously knows this better than I do.
My front door will get painted in time. For now, I'll soak in this day and the next and be grateful for my little life changer. For how he's inspired me. For the past three years. For what's in store for us.
Happy birthday, baby.









4 comments:

Justine Nelson said...

Aww, happy birthday little man! Wish I could be there to hear all those funny & smart things you say :)

Anonymous said...

It's been such a quick 3 years! I still remember where I was when I heard the news that Graham had been born. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Graham, sorry we missed it. I need to plan a lunch with the boys here real soon. Your blog reminded me of your grandma. Each birthday she would call me up and ask me, "Do you know what I was doing this day XX years ago?" Then she would re-tell the story of how I was born. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree does it?

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my goodness- he had the cutest hair!!! Mine have always been such baldies! Hope he had a great birthday.

Steph